Sekolah Vokasi UGM was commenced under the Rector’s Regulation No. 518/P/SL/HT/2008 on October 6th, 2008. The follow-up of the decree is the issuance of the Rector’s Decree No 365/P/SK/HT/2009 about The Appointment of Sekolah Vokasi Caretaker on September 1st, 2009. Then, on September 16th, 2009, the Rector’s Decree UGM No. 397/P/SK/HT/2009 about The Assignment of Chairman Caretaker and Caretaker Vice Chairman Sekolah Vokasi was published. After 2 years, the Rector’s Decree No. 32/P/SK/HT/2011 was released on February 10th, 2011 containing the amendment of the incumbency from Chairman Caretaker and Vice Chairman to Director (Task Executor) and Deputy Director (Task Executor) — Prof. Dr. Ir. Fatchan Nurrochmad M.Agr. as Director (TE) and Dr. Agr.Ir. Sri Peni Wastutiningsih as Deputy Director (TE).
Initially, Sekolah Vokasi UGM had 22 Diploma 3 Study Programs and became 23 Study Programs (in 2011) with the reopening of Diploma IV Midwifery Study Program. In 2012, a new Diploma 3 Study Program namely Metrology and Instrumentation was opened. Then, in 2013, three Diploma 4 Study Programs were opened so the total of study programs in Sekolah Vokasi UGM were 27. There are:
- Four study programs from Faculty of Engineering: Electrical Engineering, Geomatics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Civil Engineering.
- Three study programs from Faculty of Economics and Business: Accounting, Management, and Applied Economics.
- Three study programs from Faculty of Math and Science: Electronics and Instrumentation, Computers and Information Systems, and Medical Records.
- Seven study programs from Faculty of Humanities (Tourism, Archives, English, Japanese, France, Korea, and Mandarin.
- One study program from Faculty of Law: Law.
- One study program from Faculty of Geography: Geographic Information System and Remote Sensing.
- One study program from Faculty of Agricultural Technology: Agro-industry.
- One study program from Faculty of Forestry: Forest Management.
- One study program from Faculty of Veterinary: Animal Health.
- One study program from Faculty of Medical: Midwifery.
The study programs that were established after Sekolah Vokasi run are:
- D3 Metrology and Instrumentation.
- D4 Management and Maintenance of Civil Infrastructure Engineering.
- D4 Network Technology.
- D4 Management and Maintenance of Heavy Equipment Engineering.